Opportunity to work with APWLD: Young Women’s Leadership Programme
Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development (APWLD) is inviting interested young women, from member organisations in the Asia Pacific region to apply for the South-South Placement: Young Women’s Leadership Programme, paid volunteer position with the Feminist Development Justice Programme (FDJ). This is an exciting opportunity for young feminist leaders from the region to learn with APWLD secretariat staff and also to develop expertise in our broader areas of work and leadership.
FDJ is a growing, new programme at APWLD that focuses on advocacy, campaigning and capacity building on Development policies at international, regional and national levels. This programme is committed to a transformative, just and sustainable development framework with women’s rights at its core. This year, FDJ is dedicated to building global support for the Development Justice framework and to influence the Post-2015 Development Agenda. FDJ is a cross-cutting initiative with opportunities to collaborate with other APWLD programmes on different activities related to capacity development, conference organising, research, campaign material production, or drafting of thematic submissions to formal processes.
The objective of the South-South placement is to:
a. to increase members knowledge, capacity and ownership around regional and international programme work
b. to increase Secretariat understanding of national contexts and grassroots movements
c. to build the pool of feminist leaders and experts from developing countries in the region
Duration and Key Tasks of the Placement
The paid volunteer will be hosted at APWLD Secretariat (based in Chiang Mai, Thailand) for the period of six to ten months. During the placement she will coordinate APWLD contributions to Campaign for People’s Goals on Sustainable Development (CPGSD) and will work closely with FDJ’s programme associate to implement and evaluate the impact of FDJ’s strategies and workplan. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Administrative and logistical tasks for regional and international activities as required
• Establishing a media and communications strategy, including the production of op-eds, blog posts, and other communication materials for APWLD’s contribution to the Campaign for People’s Goals on Sustainable Development
• Assemble a campaign toolkit and help produce campaign materials for the Days of Action for Development Justice
• Support the organizing of the People’s General Assembly in September 2014
• Other administrative work as directed by FDJ Programme Associate, Deputy Regional Coordinator and Regional Coordinator
1. Staff or activist/members of APWLD member organisations from developing countries in the Asia Pacific Region and must be recommended by that organisation;
2. Young woman (below 35 years of age) who has not held an executive position within the organisation;
3. She should be middle level with 3-5 years of experience in women’s movement at the national level but have not much exposure to international and regional experience;
4. She should have some knowledge of the development justice framework and have some background in sustainable development and/or women’s rights work;
5. Must be able to commit to the placement a minimum of six months;
6. Proficient in English, both oral and written;
7. Proficient in ICT skills;
8. Must secure and agree on contract with original, national organisation to work (as a paid staff or on voluntary basis) for double period. (e.g. if the placement was for six months, return services should be for a year).
Remuneration Details: APWLD will cover the cost of a roundtrip airfare and visa fee for the volunteer. A small stipend (USD 800 per month, for six – ten months) will be provided for the volunteer to cover living, housing and other miscellaneous costs during the placement.
In case the volunteer and the member organization endorsing the placement wishes to extend the duration of their work at the secretariat, the additional costs may be shared by APWLD and the member organisation. The role and other detailed arrangements for the extended placement will be agreed between the two organisations.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit the following documents to Ms. Leanne Sajor [at] email@example.com :
• Curriculum Vitae or Resume
• Completed Application Form (please find attached)
• Endorsement letter from APWLD member organisation
Deadline for application: 9 April 2014
Please answer all questions completely and use additional pages if required.
Please submit the completed form to Leanne Sajor (Leanne@apwld.org) or Fax to 66-(0)53-280-847 along with a copy of the following:
- Your Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- Endorsement Letter
DEADLINE: 9 April 2014
Please send in your applications as soon as possible.
INCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED