Call for Applications: Womanifesto Sub-grant for Advancing Feminist Participatory Democracy
APWLD is inviting women’s rights and feminist organisations in the region to apply for the Womanifesto Sub-grant: Advancing Feminist Participatory Democracy.
Despite rising proportions of women parliamentarians, and the presence of the ‘largest democracies’, Asia Pacific continues to have the largest number of women living in poverty, the largest gender pay gap and some of the highest rates of violence against women in the world. The causes of these violations are complex and interrelated, stemming from the fusion of patriarchy and globalisation, fundamentalism and militarism. The results include growing democracy deficits and inequality, routine violations of women’s human rights and systemic, existential threats to peace and environment. Restoration of democratic and accountable governance, that recognises the sovereignty of the people, has never been more urgent.
APWLD believes that to have a strong democracy that is a true reflection of the citizens’ aspirations, women must be equal participants and their demands must be part of election promises and their implementation. To this end, it is not only important to have women elected into the governments, but also important to have women citizens voice their demands and be vigilant about accountability of the elected leaders.
Through this project APWLD will partner and support eight to ten organisations that will build a women’s movement around a community-driven Womanifesto or women’s agenda that articulates the aspirations of the citizens at the grassroots. In particular, partners will develop women’s political agenda, engage in and influence electoral politics, hold the elected representatives responsive and accountable to Womenifestoes, and increase the democratic participation of women from the grassroots in the political processes of their country.
APWLD will provide each partner organisation with a small sub-grant between USD 12,000-USD 15,000 to support the employment of a dedicated community organiser to carry out the project for 15 months. This sub-grant will cover some salary cost, contribute to community/women constituents organising to develop womanifesto, and carry out advocacy aimed to ensure womanifesto influences election promises or party politics, and subsequently hold elected representatives accountable to needs and demands of women and their communities.
APWLD will also support staff (e.g. community organiser) from each organisation in regional-level capacity building workshops and provide advocacy or network opportunities. They will access trainings and skills shares in political community organising, media advocacy, campaigning, drafting or other necessary skills for the project.
This project will be coordinated by the Women in Power (WiP) programme for 2018-2019. A selection committee comprised of the WiP programme and APWLD Secretariat will select eight to ten organisations that will develop womanifesto for accountable, participatory democracy.
Read our concept note here.
Applicants must be non-governmental and non-profit women’s rights and feminist organisations in the Asia Pacific region who meet the following criteria:
- Commitment to the enjoyment and realisation of women’s human rights and fundamental freedoms, particularly of the most marginalised (e.g. rural, indigenous, migrant, urban poor women);
- Commitment to strengthen feminist, participatory democracy through increased organising of women into new movements that articulate their political aspirations;
- Programme/work focus or experience with organising women and their communities to strengthen their democratic political participation, whether in electoral politics or otherwise;
- Commitment to feminist participatory methodologies that increase democratic participation and leadership of women at the grassroots;
- Capacity and commitment to complete the Womanifesto project for 15-18 months, including attending three regional trainings/workshops;
- Able to provide a dedicated community organiser for the project to establish a Womanifesto;
- Can maintain regular online communication with APWLD Secretariat and be able to participate online trainings.
As one of the objectives of this programme is to support and strengthen grassroots movement building and has a bottom-up approach to deepen democracy, this programme is not suitable for international or regional NGOs and organisations with established funding support.
Interested organisations shall submit the application form by Sunday 11th March 2018 to Madhura (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax to +66(0)53 280 847.