VACANCIES AT APWLD
Note: Please scroll below or click here to apply for the position of Programme Intern
Vacancy for Programme Officer
Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development (APWLD) is currently inviting women from Asia Pacific countries with relevant experience and skills to apply for the position of Programme Officer. The successful applicant will work with our committed team and membership to advance women’s labour rights, organising power and advocate for economic justice.
APWLD is a regional network of women’s organisations and activists in Asia Pacific, committed to women’s rights and feminist movements. APWLD’s members are drawn from 25 countries and the secretariat is based in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
The officer may be based in Chiang Mai, in Malaysia or with a member organisation in the region (subject to discussion). The position will report directly to the Regional Coordinator of APWLD.
- Demonstrated commitment to the promotion of women’s human rights in Asia Pacific;
- Experience and knowledge of organising strategies to advance social and feminist movements;
- A degree in social sciences; law, human rights or women’s studies;
- Knowledge of international human rights and development issues in Asia Pacific;
- In-depth understanding of the political, economic and socio-cultural environments in the region;
- Minimum of five years experience in development work and women’s rights at the national or regional level;
- High level project management skills including programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse, membership driven network;
- Excellent command of English language, both oral and written and demonstrated ability to write for movements as well as program reports and project proposals;
- Good interpersonal skills, with ability to network in a multi-cultural environment and to develop strong professional relationships with members and other stakeholders;
- Proficient ICT skills including ability to lead development of programme content for website and social media ;
- Must be able to travel overseas as required.
- Coordinates implementation of activities of the programme as detailed in the programme plan (includes capacity building, research, campaigns, materials production, advocacy)
- Drafts statements, submissions and position papers;
- Conducts monitoring and evaluation of programmes;
- Writes and summits programme reports for members and donor agencies;
- Assists in the preparation of project proposals and budgetary requirements for donor agencies;
- Assists the Finance Officer with the preparation of financial reports related to her programmes;
- Works with the communications officer and members to develop publications & educative materials related to her programmes;
Salary range commences at the equivalent of USD 1500 per month. Other benefits include contributions to employment pension fund; housing allowance and relocation allowances for staff required to re-locate to Chiang Mai.
A probationary period of four months applies.
How to apply?
Interested applicants should submit the following:
٭ application letter that expressly addresses the selection criteria
٭ three referees (at least 2 of which must be professional with preference that one is an APWLD member)
٭ a sample of work that demonstrates the applicants knowledge and skills in the area (may be a short narrative piece of work, a report, a programme plan).
These documents are to be submitted to:
Tel: (66) 53 284527, 284856
Fax: (66) 53 280847
Applications should be received by 22nd November 2016.
Vacancy for Programme Intern
Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development (APWLD) is currently inviting women with a commitment to feminist movement building and capacity to work in a demanding and energetic Secretariat to apply for programme internships.
APWLD is a regional network of women’s organisations and activists in Asia Pacific, committed to building feminist movements and advancing women’s rights. APWLD’s members are drawn from 26 countries and the secretariat is based in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Interns will work with programme staff across at least two programmes, providing research, administrative and communications support to Programme Officers.
Priority will be given to women from the Asia Pacific region but women from outside the region may also be considered.
Internships at APWLD
The Internship Programme is for women activists/students who have background of, and/or interest to work with, and be involved in, women’s human rights issues on a regional level.
APWLD encourages women from the region to apply and values the contribution of grassroots women’s knowledge to our work. APWLD makes every effort to provide learning opportunities to women from the Asia Pacific region as a priority. We value the experience of grassroots women equally with the formal eligibility requirements below.
Interns work closely with APWLD secretariat to implement its four broad programs:
Women in Power
Breaking out of Marginalisation
Grounding the Global
Feminist Law and Practice
Work plan may include legal and social research, assistance in developing and writing position papers and generally supporting staff on other projects needs. The programme is for at least six (6) months.
Interested candidates need to be able to work within a team, work well under pressure and be able to handle multiple tasks. Desired qualities include written and oral communication skills in English, while knowledge of other language from the Asia Pacific region is an advantage. It is preferred that they have excellent knowledge of their field of study or the sector they work with, and a working understanding of the issues APWLD deals with.APWLD endeavors to provide the experience that is relevant to the needs and interest of the interns.
APWLD does not have paid internship and does not provide stipends for interns. For interested students, degree in social science or in law is an advantage. For activists/NGO workers, strong background and involvement in human rights and/or women’s movement is an advantage.
Applications should be endorsed by an educational institution/NGO which the intern is currently involved in.Interns are required to have health insurance coverage valid in Thailand during their stay in APWLD.
APWLD accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the internship.Interns are responsible for all travel expenses to Thailand and back to their home country. They must obtain necessary visa in compliance with Thai immigration. APWLD will be able to provide a support letter for visa application purpose.Graduate and undergraduate students who intend to work in a field relevant to APWLD activities and program focus.
Fields of Study: Degree in social sciences; degree in law an advantage. Advanced education in the field of social sciences, human rights and feminism an advantage. Current involvement commitments to women’s and/or human rights movement.
Duration: At least six (6) months.
Language: Skills in Asia Pacific languages other than English are desirable.
Endorsement: Applications should be endorsed by either an educational institution or a member reference through a support letter confirming student’s interest.
Travel and Visa: Interns/Volunteers are responsible for all travel expenses to Thailand and back to their home country. Applicants must obtain necessary visa in compliance with Thai immigration. APWLD will be able to provide a support letter to successful applicants for visa application purpose.
Medical Insurance: Interns are required to have health insurance coverage valid in Thailand during their stay at APWLD. APWLD accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and /or illness incurred during the intern/volunteer assignment.
If you interested in applying for an APWLD internship, please fill up our application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter that briefly outlines your area of interest, availability and potential references (educational institution or APWLD Member Network), and include a copy of your CV.